What Kind Of Dentist Should I Look For?

General dentists are trained to perform all types of treatments. If you have difficulties or unusual problems, your dentist will refer you to one of the following specialists:

Pediatric Dentist: The dentist specializes in the prevention and performance of dental procedures in children up to 14 years of age. They are responsible for educating, correcting bad habits, preventing the appearance of cavities and anticipating future dental health problems.

Endodontist: are responsible for treating the tissue inside the teeth, which is called dental pulp. Its most common treatment is endodontics.

Prosthodontists:  they specialize in crowns, bridges, and prostheses.

Maxillofacial And Oral Surgeons:  perform surgical procedures such as removal of cysts, tumors, and teeth. They can correct fractures or other mandibular disorders that require surgery, including the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). They use methods similar to those of plastic surgery to treat aesthetic problems of the jaw and face.

 The oral surgeon performs surgical procedures from children to adults with minimally invasive operations. They treat problems in the mouth, teeth or jaw and even complications in the neck and head.

Oral Pathologists:  use laboratory procedures to diagnose oral diseases. They also specialize in forensic dentistry.

Orthodontist: specializes in the correction of the location of the teeth and jaws to solve issues or alterations of aesthetic or functional character through braces or other oral devices.

Periodontist:  is the professional trained to diagnose, prevent and heal problems in the gums, bone and periodontal ligament

What Is The Professional Training Of A Dentist?

The general dentist graduates with a Bachelor’s degree, and receives the name of Dentist Surgeon, Stomatologist, Graduate in Stomatology, Dentist, according to the school where he has graduated. The requirements are the same regarding the materials that are carried and the practice with specific changes in the names and accommodation to study them.

Upon completion, he receives a professional certificate and a degree that will allow him to practice. If you want to study a specialty, you will have to consider for 2 to 3 more years (depending on the specialty) to obtain the specialist card and practice as such.